On Track for a Successful Season

Members of the boys track and field team pose for a photo after the dual meet at Rockford.

Donavan Mattson, Sports Division Editor

Competing in six conference meets and two invites so far are the boys and girls track and field teams. The season’s finish line is in sight, as championship season begins with the OK Red Championships on Wednesday for JV and Friday for Varsity. 

The boys team is 4-2 in conference action, with the only losses resulting against East Kentwood and Rockford, as both teams are ranked top four in Division 1 according to MITCA. Distance and field events have been strong suits for the Scots, and have played a big role in the program’s winningest season since joining the OK Red. The sprinting crew, however, is the only group to break into the record books so far. At the Red Hawk Invitational on May 7th, the 4×100 meter relay team of Dharius Walker (10), Brock Townsend (10), Mason Powers (12) and Ethan Berends (10) set a school record with a time of 43.73. 

“It has been a lot of fun and we just gotta keep improving,” said Mason, who, apart from sprinting, is ranked top ten of the state for his pole vault best of 14”.  

On the girls side, consistency in sprints, distance and field events has been the key. They have come up with two wins in the conference, beating Jenison and Grand Haven. Sophomore Audrey Howell holds the third fastest times in the conference in both the 100m and 300m hurdles. In the field, senior duo Harlei Mansfield and Morgan Babb are the teams’ best shotput and discus throwers.

“My favorite part of track is all the new friendships I have made with my teammates,” said Taylor Sorsen, who as a freshman is in her first year of track.

After the conference championships this week, the teams will focus on regionals, which are on May 20th at Portage Central. Athletes must place in the top two or hit an automatic qualifier time at the regional meet in order to advance to the state finals, which are June 4th at Rockford.