School Starting & Ending Time Change

With the new time change, school will now be starting ten minutes earlier at 7:45 a.m.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Rae Radtke, Staff Writer

On November 1st, the high school introduced a new schedule that starts our school days ten minutes earlier. At the beginning of the year, school days started at 7:55 a.m., which was recently changed to 7:45 a.m. The school days now end at 2:41 p.m., compared to the original ending time of 2:31 p.m. 

When asked why this time change was put into effect, administrative assistant Mrs. Van’t Hof said “It was to try and help alleviate the traffic congestion in the morning between all of the schools.” If this change is effective, then students and their families will be able to get home much sooner and easier, as the lines will not be as long. 

Most students shared positive opinions on the time change. Reese Nething (11) said “I like the time change because it’s nice getting out earlier. I don’t think waking up ten minutes earlier is a bad thing and it is really nice getting out and getting home earlier. The only thing I don’t like is that the traffic seems a lot worse before and after school now.” These were popular opinions among students, who are already adjusting to the new schedule. 

Student driver Natalia Quigley (11) voiced her opinion that “The new time change doesn’t really affect me in the morning because I have always gotten here early. I really like getting out of school earlier though, as I run cross country and I have been enjoying getting out of practice earlier. It gives me more time to do things after practice.” Many student athletes will be getting out of practice earlier in the day now that this time change has been instituted, and are looking forward to it. 

As the school year continues on, community members will begin to see how the traffic ends up shifting. Over the next couple of weeks, many student drivers are hoping that the roads become less congested as we all adjust to this minor yet meaningful time change.